Are you looking to increase your knowledge in the fundamentals of public health? The certificate in Public Health is a 16-credit hour experience delivered through a fully online platform. This program is ideal for the working professional interested in increasing their knowledge of public health without having to enroll in the MPH program. However, students interested in the MPH program may use the certificate coursework to satisfy degree requirements. In addition, coursework in the certificate program may also be used to satisfy prerequisite requirements for individuals interested in the Dr.P.H. concentrations.
1. Completion of an application in Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS) Express.
2. Completion of a Bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution.
3. Official transcript(s) from each college or university previously attended. A transcript is required even if the courses from one school appear on the transcript of another school.*
All foreign transcripts must be evaluated by World Education Services (WES). Visit http://www.wes.org/to view which documents are required for your country and to request an International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) Course-by-Course Report.*
Upload transcript(s) from all institutions attended. (Do not send transcripts to SOPHAS Express)*
4. Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0/4.0 scale in either:
5. International applicants and U.S. Citizens whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency. Prior to consideration for admission, international applicants whose native language is not English must take and post acceptable scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (http://www.ets.org/toefl) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (http://www.ielts.org) unless they have received a degree from an accredited college or university in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada (except Quebec), Australia, or New Zealand. The TOEFL and IELTS examinations are administered at various times of the year and in many centers throughout the world.
A score of at least 75 (internet-based test, IBT) or 537 (paper-based test) on the TOEFL and 6.0 on the IELTS is normally required to be considered for regular admission. The official TOEFL and the official IELTS scores may not be more than two (2) years old. Those who do not meet the minimum proficiency standard may be recommended for enrollment in University English courses or for English courses offered by the English Language Program (ELP) on campus. Successful completion of Intensive English Programs (IEPs) at other English Language Program (ELP) providers will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Request that your official TOEFL scores be sent directly to SOPHAS. Official IELTS scores should be sent to: Georgia Southern University, Office of Graduate Admissions, P.O. Box 8113, Statesboro, GA 30460-8113.
6. Three (3) letters of recommendation. It is strongly advised that two letters be from individuals who can address your past academic performance and it is encouraged that the third letter is from a work or internship supervisor.
7. A CV/Resume that includes the following: a) educational experiences, b) professional goals and objectives, c) work history, d) professional experiences, memberships and/or participation in professional organizations, e) experiences in public health programs.
8. A Statement of Purpose (500-1000 words) that conveys the applicant’s reasons for pursuing graduate study in public health and how admission into the program relates to the applicant’s professional aspirations.
Certificate of Public Health Application Deadlines
Deadline for International Applicants: May 1*
Deadline for United States Applicants: June 1*
Deadline for International Applicants: October 1*
Deadline for United States Applicants: November 1*
Does Not Admit
*The application and all required documents listed on the “admissions requirements” tab for the program must be received by the deadline. If all required documents are not received by the deadline your application will not be considered for admission.
Last updated: 11/21/2017
Office of Graduate Admissions • PO Box 8113 Statesboro, GA 30460 • (912) 478-5384 • email@example.com