The Online Graduate Certificate in Applied Linguistics/Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) at Georgia Southern University is designed to help students launch or accelerate a career path in language teaching and assessment as well as to augment the qualifications of English teachers at multiple levels both abroad and in the U.S.
The Applied Linguistics/TESOL certificate is offered jointly through the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences and the College of Education . Individuals applying for a graduate certificate in Applied Linguistics/TESOL should have an interest in education and language study developed through such disciplines as education, English, foreign languages, linguistics, writing, or complementary areas in the humanities or social sciences.
This 18-hour online certificate program prepares students to:
- teach English as a second or additional language worldwide,
- take a leadership role in curriculum development, assessment, and administration of English language programs, and
- continue advanced graduate studies in language education and assessment.
TESOL specialists and applied linguists work with educational institutions and agencies, government institutions and nonprofit organizations, and in specialized business and research environments.
The program requires a total of 18 credit hours and is offered fully online. Coursework emphasizes fundamental concepts and teaches advanced applications. Typically, students will take two courses each semester and complete the program in one year. The program is flexible enough to allow alternative schedules and time frames. A common sequence for the required coursework is listed below.
- LING 6233 Teaching English Internationally (3 hours)
- ESED 5234G Cultural Issues: ESOL (3 hours)
- LING 6131 Applied Phonology (3 hours)
- ESED 5235G Methods for ESOL (3 hours)
- LING 6133 Applied Grammar (3 hours)
- LING 6231 Language, Nation, & Globalization (3 hours)
Program Contact Information:
Dr. Dan Bauer
Chair, Department of Writing and Linguistics
Phone: (912) 478-0739
Dr. Jinrong Li
Phone: (912) 478-5263