Master of Arts in Teaching, Health and Physical Education Certification (P-12) (Online)
About the Program
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) leads to initial teaching certification in Health and Physical Education (P-12) and a master’s degree for those persons who hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution. The program of study is designed to meet all content and methods requirements for initial certification and the degree in 36 credit hours.
This is a fully online program. Candidates are required to complete supervised field experiences in Georgia schools to meet certification requirements. Field experiences must be completed in a classroom that matches the program concentration.
Program Contact Information
- Complete requirements for a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Present a cumulative 2.50 (4.0 scale) grade point average or higher on all undergraduate and graduate work combined.
- Submit a passing score on the state-required Georgia Educator Ethics Assessment.
- Qualify for a Georgia Pre-Service certificate or Provisional certificate (see Certification section in the Graduate Catalog).
- Submit a personal statement of purpose, not to exceed 200 words, that identifies the applicant’s reasons for pursuing graduate study and how admission into the program relates to the applicant’s professional aspirations.
- Acknowledge “Disclosure and Affirmation” statements that address the Code of Ethics for Educators and the need for tort liability insurance.
- International applicants and U.S. citizens whose native language is not English must demonstrate competence in English. Applicants must take and pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The official TOEFL score may not be more than two years old. Those who do not meet the minimum proficiency standard may be recommended for enrollment in University English courses or for English courses offered by the English Language Program (ELP) on campus prior to admission to the program.
- If an applicant was previously enrolled in an initial teacher preparation program, an interview must be completed with the Program Coordinator prior to admission to the program.
*International transcripts must be evaluated by a NACES accredited evaluation service and must be a course by course evaluation and include a GPA. (naces.org)
MyPSC Account Requirements: As part of program requirements, once admitted, all applicants must claim Georgia Southern University as their Educator Preparation Program Provider before starting classes. Guidance will be given on how to claim Georgia Southern after admission. To obtain a MyPSC account, please go to the GaPSC website to register: www.gapsc.com.
Georgia Pre-Service certificate: Prior to participating in a field experience in the MAT program (which occurs within the first semester), all candidates must have a Georgia Pre-Service Certificate or Provisional/Waiver Teaching Certificate in a field that matches the Program. After you receive your admission acceptance, if you are NOT employed as a teacher of record in a matching content area classroom in Georgia, you will receive an email from the College of Education with the documents required to receive the Pre-Service certificate from the GaPSC. Once you provide the information requested in the documents, it will be sent to the GaPSC by the College of Education Officer.
Does not admit
Does not admit
*The application and all required documents listed on the “admissions requirements” tab for the program must be received by the deadline. If all required documents are not received by the deadline your application will not be considered for admission.
Last updated: 9/26/2022