Master of Arts in Teaching, Secondary Education Certification (6-12) (Online)
About the Program
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) leads to initial teaching certification in Secondary Education (6-12) and a master’s degree for those persons who hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution. MAT Secondary Education offers the following concentrations: biology, broad fields science, chemistry, economics, English, history, geography, mathematics, physics, or political science. The program of study is designed to meet all content and methods requirements for initial certification and the degree in 39 credit hours.
Applicants interested in the MAT Secondary Education program will have their transcripts evaluated as part of the application process to ensure content and GPA requirements are satisfied to begin the MAT program. Prerequisite content course work, based on the transcript evaluation, must be completed before admission into the program.
This is a fully online program. Candidates are required to complete supervised field experiences in Georgia schools to meet certification requirements either as a full-time Teacher of Record anywhere in the state of Georgia or through an assigned placement as a teacher candidate within 70 miles of the Statesboro or Armstrong campus. Field experiences must be completed in a classroom that matches the program concentration.
NOTE: All new MAT Secondary Education candidates must attend a one-day virtual orientation. The mandatory orientation for new summer and fall admits to the MAT Middle Grades Education program is scheduled for Saturday, August 24th, 2024.
Ready to Apply?
Or, you can:
- Complete requirements for a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Complete specified prerequisite content coursework for one or more associated content areas. More about required prerequisite content coursework requirements and the transcript evaluation process.
- Present a cumulative 2.50 (4.0 scale) grade point average or higher on all undergraduate and graduate work combined.
- Present a total adjusted GPA of 2.75 or higher on content courses in the selected area of certification.
- Submit a passing score on the GACE Content Assessment in the area(s) for which one is seeking certification.
- Submit a passing score on the state-required Georgia Educator Ethics Assessment.
- Qualify for a Georgia Pre-Service certificate or Provisional certificate (see Certification section in the Graduate Catalog).
- Acknowledge ”Disclosure and Affirmation” statements that address the Code of Ethics for Educators and the need for tort liability insurance.
- If an applicant was previously enrolled in an initial teacher preparation program, an interview must be completed with the Program Coordinator prior to admission to the program.
*International transcripts must be evaluated by a NACES accredited evaluation service and must be a course by course evaluation and include a GPA. (naces.org)
MyPSC Account Requirements: As part of program requirements, once admitted, all applicants must claim Georgia Southern University as their Educator Preparation Program Provider before starting classes. Guidance will be given on how to claim Georgia Southern after admission. To obtain a MyPSC account, please go to the GaPSC website to register: www.gapsc.com.
Georgia Pre-Service certificate: Prior to participating in a field experience in the MAT program (which occurs within the first semester), all candidates must have a Georgia Pre-Service Certificate or Provisional/Waiver Teaching Certificate in a field that matches the Program. After you receive your admission acceptance, if you are NOT employed as a teacher of record in a matching content area classroom in Georgia, you will receive an email from the College of Education with the documents required to receive the Pre-Service certificate from the GaPSC. Once you provide the information requested in the documents, it will be sent to the GaPSC by the College of Education Officer.
Does Not Admit
*The application and all required documents listed on the “admissions requirements” tab for the program must be received by the deadline. If all required documents are not received by the deadline your application will not be considered for admission.
Program Contact Information
Last updated: 11/15/2023