Master of Science – Applied Geography
About the Program
The Master of Science degree with a major in Applied Geography prepares graduates for advanced study, meaningful employment, and life-long learning. The program’s applied focus nurtures a culture of engagement, providing students with hands-on learning opportunities and helping students from a variety of academic disciplines apply their classroom knowledge to real-world situations. The increasing demand for readily available, consistent, accurate, complete, and current geographic information and the widespread availability and use of advanced geospatial technologies offer excellent career opportunities for our graduates. Indeed, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that overall employment demand for geospatial technologists will grow by a minimum of 20% over the next decade. The M.S. in Applied Geography offers students a diverse array of field experiences including:
- Analyzing climate change impacts on barrier islands
- Utilizing geospatial data and methods to address urban and environmental issues
- Mapping and monitoring coastal habitats using remote sensing data
- Applying urban forestry to meet sustainable development goals
- Examining ecotourism, sustainability, and environmental change in Latin America
- Developing warning systems for hydrometeorologic hazards in the Dolomite Alps in Italy
The program, therefore, prepares students for professional opportunities in a multitude of fields including: regional and transportation planning, the geospatial-intelligence industry, market analysis, meteorology/climatology, natural and human-made hazards, public health, logistics, resource management, and sustainable development. Visit the Geography Program’s website for more detailed information on current research programs of MS in Applied Geography faculty.
Program Contact Information
Dr. Christine Hladik
Students are selected for the Master of Science in Applied Geography degree program on a competitive basis. Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee admissions.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Completion of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) (scores must be sent to the College of Graduate Studies) NOTE: Due to the current pandemic and difficulties with testing, the GRE will be OPTIONAL for applicants applying for Spring, Summer or Fall 2021 admission. You may still provide GRE scores, but you are not required to.
- Completion of the TOEFL or IELTS Exam with scores sent to the College of Graduate Studies (international students only)
- A statement of purpose explaining the reasons for pursuing a Master of Science in Applied Geography
- Three letters of recommendation
- Typically, applicants will have a minimum 2.75 cumulative grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) for all undergraduate coursework.
*International transcripts must be evaluated by a NACES accredited evaluation service and must be a course by course evaluation and include a GPA. (www.naces.org)
Priority: April 1*
Final: July 15*
*The application and all required documents listed on the “admissions requirements” tab for the program must be received by the deadline. If all required documents are not received by the deadline your application will not be considered for admission.
Last updated: 3/3/2021