Reading Education, M.Ed.
About the Program
The Reading Education program combines theory into practice and prepares you for the fast changing world of literacy preparation at all levels. Recently developed courses focus on topics such as digital literacy’s in the 21st century and teaching literacy to English language learners. After successful completion of this degree and earning a passing score on the GACE Reading Content Assessment, you will qualify for certification to teach reading/literacy in grades PreK – 12 and provide instructional support for teaching reading/literacy to classroom teachers and paraprofessionals.
Program Contact Information
- Complete requirements for a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Possess a valid, level four or higher, Professional, Advanced Professional, or Lead Professional teaching certificate, leadership certificate, service certificate, or Life certificate.
- Have at least three years teaching experience.
- Present a cumulative 2.50 (4.0 scale) grade point average or higher on all undergraduate and graduate work combined.
- Submit a personal statement of purpose, not to exceed 200 words, that identifies the applicant’s reasons for pursuing graduate study and how admission into the program relates to the applicant’s professional aspirations.
- Complete “Disclosure and Affirmation questions” that address misconduct disclosure, criminal background check, the Code of Ethics for Educators, and tort liability insurance.
Applicants may be approved for provisional admission based on the quality of the admission material presented. Provisional students must earn grades of ‘B’ or higher in their first nine (9) hours of course work after admission and meet any other stipulations outlined by the department to be converted to regular status.
*International transcripts must be evaluated by a NACES accredited evaluation service and must be a course by course evaluation and include a GPA. (www.naces.org)
*The application and all required documents listed on the “admissions requirements” tab for the program must be received by the deadline. If all required documents are not received by the deadline your application will not be considered for admission.
Last updated: 1/12/2021