Master of Science, Sport Management (Online)
About the Program
Credit Hours: 36
Entry Terms: Fall
The Sport management major at Georgia Southern provides academic preparation and practical experiences in the skills and techniques required to be successful in the sport business industry. The program focuses on sport career advancement related to sport business and administration, both for-profit and non-profit organizations. Sport management is one of the fastest growing fields of study in the country, which focuses on the business of sport including marketing, finance, media relations, sport sociology etc. The Georgia Southern graduate program is perfect for people who are 1. currently working in the sport industry, are 2. working as a graduate assistant that is focused on a sport business, or 3. someone considering a career change to working in the sport business industry. The plan of study considers the busy schedules of full-time employees and encourages intertwining content-based discussions and activities with students’ employment and work experiences.
Ready to Apply?
Or, you can:
- Provide a writing sample explaining “What does the field of sport management mean to you?” Then highlight or explain a current trend/issue in the management sport. The statement should include an in-depth explanation indicating your knowledge of the academic perspective of sport management. Candidates need to clearly show and explain their understanding of the business of sport management, not their personal goals in the field. The written statement needs to be a minimum of one page double-spaced but no more than two pages.
- Provide transcripts showing the completion of a Bachelor’s degree in a college or university accredited by the proper regional accrediting association. If applicant holds additional degrees or classes from accredited institutions, those transcripts must be submitted as well. The committee will review previous coursework that relates to the curriculum in the Master’s in Sport Management program.
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.5 is required to be considered for admission into the program. An undergraduate GPA between 2.5 and 2.99 may result in admission with provisional status. Obtaining a GPA of 3.0 on a master’s degree or at least 12 graduate credits may be assessed on the basis of master’s-level degree work.
- Resume will be used to review the quality of work experience and length of related professional experiences/internships.
- Applicants should prepare a professional video that is one-to-two minutes in length. The video needs to address Who you are, your goal from the sport management program and how it will help pursue your career, and why you want to get this degree. You will need to add your YouTube video link in the graduate application. The video MUST be uploaded on YouTube.
How to Upload a YouTube Video: *Note that the video must be less than 2 GB in size and less than 15 minutes in duration to upload. For instructions on how to upload a video to YouTube, click here.
The Graduate Admissions Committee will judge the merit of each item and make a recommendation based on the sum total of the application.
*International transcripts must be evaluated by a NACES accredited evaluation service and must be a course by course evaluation and include a GPA. (naces.org)
Priority Application Deadline: Students interested in Teaching or Research Assistantships must apply by March 1 to receive considerations for open positions.
Application Deadline: All application materials must be received by July 1 to be considered for admission into the fall cohort.
Admission Cycle: The program follows a cohort model. Students accepted into the program will be admitted during the fall semester.
Priority: March 1*
Final: July 1*
Does not admit
Does not admit
*The application and all required documents listed on the “admissions requirements” tab for the program must be received by the deadline. If all required documents are not received by the deadline your application will not be considered for admission.
Program Contact Information
Last updated: 5/23/2023