The Grad Post, Spring 2021, Master of Science in Kinesiology, Sport and Exercise Psychology
Dr. Brandonn Harris, Graduate Program Director
The graduate Sport and Exercise Psychology Program has worked diligently to reach and maintain its status as an elite academic training program focusing on the interdisciplinary study of applied sport and exercise psychology. We aim to promote an inclusive environment that embraces diversity and multiculturalism as a central component to our program, in addition to the services we provide student-athletes and community stakeholders. The mentorship of applied mental skills training experiences, scholarship/research and grant procurement, and an investment in ethical and professional public service also serve as pillars guiding our program. The students enrolled in our graduate program can expect to encounter a number of unique and exciting experiences including:
- Preparation for future success through interdependent leadership, innovation, and service experiences. Students have a wide range of choices regarding their program of study with the option to complete a thesis or internship as a part of their capstone experience.
- Diverse faculty and staff who are internationally recognized in the field and occupy leadership roles in several professional organizations, incorporate emerging technology and innovation in the curriculum, generate grants and scholarly manuscripts, hold gold-standard training and credentialing including status as Certified Mental Performance Consultants, and maintain a genuine regard for the well-being and training of graduate students.
- Small cohort and class sizes allowing for meaningful and individualized interactions and professional development and support.
- A vibrant and healthy number of quality community partnerships, professional development opportunities, and applied sport and exercise psychology and life skills experiences that provide students with vast experiences in enhancing performance and human well-being such as:
- Program attendance and participation at the annual Association for Applied Sport Psychology and American Psychological Association conferences
- Individual and team consultations with collegiate athletic and/or pre-professional academy or sport programs
- Youth sport/high school athletic consultations
- Supervised guest lectures in Sport and Exercise Psychology undergraduate courses
- Youth sport consultations
- Life skills consultations with at-risk youth
- Internships at various sport academies and institutes
- An environment that promotes academic distinction, challenging our students’ capabilities, and intellectual engagement through student-centered research and learning initiatives, faculty research collaboration, and technological advancement.
- A high placement and success rate for those moving on to doctoral (Ph.D./Psy.D.) programs, clinical mental health/counseling master’s programs, and/or sport and exercise psychology-related employment following their graduation from the program.
Posted in Uncategorized