The Grad Post, Fall 2021, Deonta White, Master of Public Health: Environmental Health Sciences

Q: What drew you to Georgia Southern for your graduate studies?

A: I decided to come back to Georgia Southern for graduate school because this university honestly feels like home to me. I have been able to make long lasting friendships and networking relationships since I began as an undergraduate student. It is also exciting that I will get to call myself a double eagle! I particularly love the atmosphere of my specific college (Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health) because the environment is very welcoming, and my professors are always helpful. The JPHCOPH faculty, staff, and my cohort are like my second family.

Q: What are your Georgia Southern “points of pride?” What is one thing you are most proud of during your time here at Georgia Southern?

A: One thing I am most proud of during my time here at Georgia Southern was being able to be a member of the Southern Pride Marching Band during my undergraduate career. Becoming a member of the marching band opened many opportunities for me and introduced me to people I now call family.

Q: Are you a part of any research or work projects? If so, what are you doing?

A: Earlier this year I was doing water quality research with one of my professors (Dr. Asli Aslan).

Q: Are you a part of an internship or co-op experience? What are you doing? What are you learning?

A: Yes, I am currently doing my practicum with the Magnolia Coastlands AHEC (Area Health Education Center) Scholars Program. It is a two-year program that I do while I pursue my masters degree. AHEC is a nonprofit organization that was created to respond to the challenges of limited supply and distribution of health professionals in rural and underserved areas of the state. AHEC is interdisciplinary and composed of individuals from other healthcare majors. We participate in clinical activities, didactic activities, and community-based training. The goal is to improve the quality of primary health care in underserved communities. 

Q: How is Georgia Southern preparing you for your future career?

A: Georgia Southern is preparing me for my future career by providing me with hands-on experience in my selected field and various networking opportunities. My program is very practical and research oriented, which I believe is very beneficial to my future endeavors.

Additional Information: I’m from a small town called Eatonton, Georgia and a member of Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity.  I’m also currently a Georgia Southern Graduate Peer Mentor.

Share:

Posted in Uncategorized