Graduate Student Academic Appeal
The Appeal Form is for all graduate student academic appeals such as
- Reinstatement following Academic Exclusion
- Matters Affecting Matriculation and Academic Good Standing
- ETD Deadlines
- Comprehensive Exam Deadline Extensions
- Continuous Enrollment Policy Waiver
- Time Extension to Complete Degree Requirements
- Late Registration
- Leave of absence for non-medical reasons
Please visit the Student Conduct webpage for other appeals.
For all Medical Appeals, please refer to the Counseling Center and/or review the Medical Withdrawal Instructions. All Medical Appeals will have to go through Georgia Southern’s Counseling Center. Learn more about Student Withdrawal Procedures.
Please make sure that any documents and any relevant information is included in your appeal form. For example, if you are submitting an appeal regarding Time Extension to complete degree requirements, you should submit the date that you plan on graduating as well as any documents/information to support why such an extension is needed.
For either Reinstatement following Academic Exclusion or Matters Affecting Matriculation and Academic Good Standing, the following documents must be attached with your appeal:
- Brief personal statement outlining the reason for your appeal.
- Minimum of three (3) letters of reference from GS graduate program faculty or other persons who have knowledge of your academic abilities. Letters must be submitted as file attachments. Reference letters from personal friends or family members are not acceptable.
- Scanned copy of Georgia Southern University transcript. Submit transcript requests to the Georgia Southern Registrar’s Office.
- Any other pertinent documents that you feel support your appeal.
All other appeal types do not require letters of reference or transcripts to be submitted with your appeal.
The Academic Appeal Process consists of the following steps:
- Complete the Graduate Appeal Form.
- Once the form is submitted, it will be reviewed by your Program Director.
- The Program Director will submit his/her decision. You may then choose to accept the decision or appeal to the Department Chair.
- The Department Chair will submit his/her decision. You may then choose to accept the decision or appeal to the Dean of your college.
- The Dean of your college will submit his/her decision. You may then choose to accept the decision or appeal to the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies.
- The Dean of the College of Graduate Studies will submit his/her decision. You may choose then choose to accept the decision or appeal to the Provost.
- The Provost will submit his/her decision and will be a final and binding decision.
Last updated: 7/19/2021